A man with a fiery vision, to bring radical changes in the quality of food we eat, our lifestyle and our thinking!
Meet MrJayaram, the simple farmer as he calls himself, who is singlehandedly responsible for this change!
Organic farming, taking people back to the roots, inclusive working, these are some of the visions achieved by MrJayaram. After successfully converting what used to be barren land back in 1998 into a flourishing and green farm of great biodiversity that provides fresh organic vegetables, the Green Path (a complete Eco boutique hotel) and a Eco Stay in Coorg (North Karnataka), MrJayaram now runs Organic Store, a complete store of organic products and restaurants. He envisions a chain of “detox cafes” as his next endeavor.
The Green Path is one of the brainwaves of Mr Jayaram driven by the vision:
To create easily replicable models of sustainable living in order to inspire more people to adapt an eco-friendly lifestyle. To promote and implement sustainable practices in all our activities.
To educate consumers about the nutritional and environmental benefits of organic foods. To promote “forgotten future foods” (millet among many others) and inform people about their numerous benefits.
To promote new forms of responsible tourism that aim to conserve nature and to support local communities.
You are welcomed at Green Path as the “Earth People”. Your other identities simply do not matter! Often at the dining table and reception area of Green Path, you meet people in animated discussions—all of which seem to have a central theme: how to preserve the Earth better. There are environmentalists, organic farmers, researchers, eco- and- responsible tourism professionals, journalists, passionate vegans and vegetarians, and you name it—all trying to put forth their arguments on preserving the Earth better!
Green Path is a 50-bedroom service apartment in Bangalore. Each apartment at Green Path has two-or-three completely furnished bedrooms with all facilities for a comfortable, homely, and eco-friendly stay. These service apartments are ideal for both short and long term stays.
Green Path’s restaurant called Green Bowl is largely vegetarian/vegan and organic. “Largely” vegetarian because eggs are served to guests on their specific request. The restaurant is sensitized towards veganism.
Green Path principles:
- Promotes slow food—slow food is defined as locally-grown organic food. For example, Green Path offers you luscious farm-fresh, locally grown organic cheekus (sapota) in plentiful but not apples… apples are not a fruit of this region and are often exported from foreign countries.
- Slow food is characterized by the minimum expenditure of energy to reach you.
- Follows a policy of no ajinomoto, no coloring agents, no preservatives, no frozen ingredients, no hydrogenated oils, and no baking soda in the food.
- Restricts from serving aerated drinks and colas.
- Maintains an organic kitchen garden and a 40-acre organic farm to supply the raw materials for the kitchen.
- Harvests rain water to tend to the plants in the premises and prevent rain water from percolating down into the sewerage.
- Maintains a bio-gas plant within the premises which supplies most of the fuel used in the kitchen.
- Outsources plastic wastes to be recycled.
- Promotes local artisans by purchasing their paintings and wall hangings for décor.
- Follows a strict policy of not selling packaged water. The kitchenettes in all apartments are fitted with RO systems.
- Offers tours to organic farms and organizes farm stays on request.
- Uses solar energy to power water heaters in the apartments.
- Provides shampoos and cosmetics in the bathrooms that are herbal, natural, organic, and handmade.